Home California Southern California SoCal Man’s E-Cigarette Explodes, Lights His Bed on Fire

SoCal Man’s E-Cigarette Explodes, Lights His Bed on Fire

(Screengrab Kcal 9)
(Screengrab CBS 2)

A Santa Ana man’s electronic cigarette exploded while he was smoking it in bed causing part of his bedroom to catch fire and sending him to the hospital.

Authorities say the explosion sent pieces of the device throughout the room with part of it ending up lodged in the ceiling. His bed then burst into flames. The guy was able to call 911 and extinguished the flames with water before 25 firefighters arrived.

[slideshow_deploy id=’11613′]

ABC 7 reported the transcript of the 911 call:

Caller: I’m freaking out, I just had an electronic cigarette blow up in my hand.
Operator: Are you burned or what happened?
Caller: I’m burned pretty bad, I’m freaking out.
Operator: Are you having any trouble with your breathing?
Caller: I think I’m having a little bit of anxiety. This thing like blew up in my face and it shot and stuck in my ceiling.

[adsanity id=11528 align=alignnone /]

The unnamed 20-something man was taken to a nearby hospital where he was treated for flash burns to his face and hand.

“It was like a bomb that exploded in his face,” Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority told The LA Times. He added that e-cigarette users should avoid overcharging their devices, which could cause them to overheat.