SoCal guy claims he found 2 geckos in his Heineken can

A guy in Fountain Valley claims that, after noticing his beer tasted foul, he found two dead leopard geckos in his Heineken can.

George Toubbeh has filed a lawsuit against Heineken and Ralphs in which he claims he suffered abdominal pain and vomited in August 2015 after gulping a bit of beer from the 24-ounce can he bought at Ralphs, reports the OC Register. He says he became violently ill and went to the emergency room. The lawsuit claims Toubbeh suffered from severe gastrointestinal ailments, emotional distress, anxiety and trauma and had to miss several weeks of work.

(law firm of DiMarco | Araujo | Montevideo)

“When discovered, the geckos had not been decomposed at all and were likely alive when the beer was poured and sealed into the cans in the bottling and/or canning facility,” the lawsuit says.

Heineken told the newspaper that the accusations in the lawsuit are false.

“Heineken USA holds the safety and integrity of the products we import to the highest standards,” spokeswoman Tara Rush says in a statement to the Register. “We have investigated this isolated claim, and based on a number of factors, we confidently believe there is no merit to this claim.”

As Consumerist notes, this is not the first time a lawsuit has been filed claiming there was a critter in a food container – with claims ranging from a frog in a McDonald’s wrap to a scorpion in a spinach bag to a rat’s head in Popeye’s chicken.


Leave a Reply