Rare is it that you get to actually learn something about the people who deliver you the local TV news – but, every once in a while in between the mug shots, weather guessing, and press releases viewers are offered a rare glimpse into what takes place behind the scenes.
Take for instance Wednesday night, when Local 2 Anchor / Guy Who Will Kick Your Ass at Golf Kris Long let us in on an interesting perk offered to the CBS Local 2 news team:
Hold on a second. I can’t even concentrate on what story he is talking about, or any stories from now on, because I have so many damn questions about this “free lunch program”.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Does the station that “stands for you” also stand while eating?
- Do all CBS Local 2 employees get the lunch or just the people who get to read prompters on TV?
- Do they make all of the employees use the “deal of the day” to save 50% on the bill?
- Are there kosher and vegetarian options?
- Does the weekend staff have to come in on a weekday to get the free lunch – and if so, do they get paid to be there for it?
- Does this benefit get taxed?
- Does KESQ staff get to eat too or are they made to stare at their sister station feasting on all the free noms?
- Do the reporters plan a special “look of the day” for lunch days?
- What happens to the leftovers?
- Did Ginger leave because KMIR offers a better lunch?
- If they get food poisoning from the free food, would they report on it?
- Can they bring a guest?
- If they can bring a guest, can I be the guest?
- Can I then bring a guest?
- If I can bring a guest, can my guest be KMIR’s Ginger Jeffries?
- Is this the benefit that seals the deal in contract negotiations?
- If breaking news happens during lunch, are they allowed to eat their sandwich on the air?
- Does the Weather Guessing Department predict what the lunch will be 5 days before the actual free lunch day?
- Are they ever right?
- Is this why CBS Local 2 does not have a noon newscast?
Please add your additional questions in the comments below. Then we can all look forward to someone at Local 2 answering all of these questions very soon.