Coachella & Stagecoach are still happening…for now

(Image courtesy Coachella)

As coronavirus fears grow (and hand sanitizer supplies dwindle), many have been asking if large events like Coachella and Stagecoach will still be happening this year. On Thursday, county officials held a press conference to let the public know that the shows will still go on…well, as of now anyway.

From City News Service (via Patch):

The county’s health officer, Dr. Cameron Kaiser, said there have not been any incidents of community spread of the illness in Southern California. County officials said they are mulling over a possible emergency declaration, as has been in done by the state and Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties, but no such decision has yet been made.

 

“If we do make an emergency declaration based on changes in local conditions, as a public health officer I do have the ability to shut down such large gatherings. We would do so with as much lead time as possible,” Kaiser said.

 

Kaiser made reference to the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals, both set for next month in Indio. Last year, Coachella saw nearly 100,000 people attend per day.

So, yeah.  The show, it seems, must go on.

Weekend One of Coachella is set to kickoff April 10.  This year the fest is scheduled to see performances by Rage Against the Machine, Frank Ocean, and Travis Scott.



Get Cactus Hugs in your inbox.  Sign up now!
Subscribe

6 COMMENTS

  1. Jerry, good luck. One, it will likely be cancelled. Two, if it is not, and you “start a class action law suit” who exactly is the class in mind? The Coachella Valley’s 100,000+ residents? Let’s say you get a judgment for $100M against these people. Each resident would receive $1000. And thats only IF the judgment was not fought in court because you know damn well it would be. You’d be tied up in litigation for years on end. There’s a reason class action law suits take years and years to settle.