Welcome to 5 Things to Know – a daily rundown of things you might want to be aware of if you live in, visit, or just like being aware about what’s going on in Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley. As always, thank you for your continued support of Cactus Hugs.
1) The Election
It’s tomorrow…no, seriously. After all this *gestures around wildly*, it finally comes to an end…well, maybe. Who knows what kind of a clusterfuck awaits us as the results come in starting tomorrow night – but, we can worry about that later. In the meantime, if you are planning on voting in-person tomorrow, do it safely (wear a mask, bring some hand sanitizer, stay away from people) as, you know *gestures around* the coronavirus.
If you have voted, remind and encourage those close to you to do the same as democracy works best when everyone’s voice is heard.
2) The Coronavirus
Riverside County reported 870 new cases and 3 additional deaths on Monday. There have been 1,322 reported deaths from coronavirus this year in Riverside County.
Here is the latest on what’s going on in the desert:
CORRECTION: I should have said
5 suspected (-2)
— Kevin Duncliffe (@kevinduncliffe) November 3, 2020
- Three inmates in California prisons died of the coronavirus in the past week. The total number of those incarcerated in the state who have died from COVID-19 is now 79.
- After the chant “Fire Fauci” broke out at a rally on Sunday in Florida, Donald Trump responded, “Don’t tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election.” – so that’s a thing that happened.
- The county is now adding pop-up locations for testing:
— Dr. Cameron Kaiser (@RivCoDoc) November 3, 2020
3) There won’t be a Palm Springs Film Festival in 2021
Not sure why it took this long, but the Palm Springs Film Festival has announced it won’t take place in 2021. Staging it would’ve been impossible with, you know, *gestures around* covid still spreading and theaters not even currently allowed to open in the county…but also, there haven’t been any movies other than New Mutants, Tenet, and some movie with De Niro playing a grandpa released in theaters over the last year and that would’ve made for a particularly odd awards gala.
4) There’s a special showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show happening in a couple of weeks
There will be a special 45th anniversary showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Sunday, November 15 at the drive-in theater on top of the Westfield Palm Desert parking structure. The event will feature a live appearance by star Barry Bostwick, aka Brad Majors, as well as a costume contest and show by the local Shadow Cast, who will act out the movie on stage while the movie plays on screen.
You can get info and buy tickets here.
Yeah, I know we mentioned this already…but some people need reminding.
Stay safe. Stay smart. Practice Social Distancing. Wear a mask.