Five juveniles were hospitalized on Thursday after chemicals were mistakingly placed in the Palm Desert YMCA’s soap dispensers, reports Joe Galli of KESQ.
#Breaking: 5 children taken to hospital after receiving minor chemical burns on their hands. Hazmat is on scene. Investigators say janitor accidentally put a chemical compound in hand soap dispensers. pic.twitter.com/dlM6UTIi5e
— Joe Galli (@JoeGalliNews) January 4, 2018
Riverside County Firefighters responded the YMCA on Orange Blossom Lane in Palm Desert a little after 12:30 pm. Five patients were transported to the hospital with minor injuries, according to a Cal Fire news release.
The substance, Eco Temp Ultra Klene, was a janitorial strength cleaner containing sodium hydroxide that can cause burns when it comes into contact with skin, according to the Desert Sun.
— CAL FIRE Riverside (@CALFIRERRU) January 4, 2018